bubble tea

C H A T T E R  S T Y L E

Image result for dark cat bubble tea
bubble tea... the 2016 electro hit by dark cat that hit 11.3 million views on YouTube. Although it is a VERY good song that I recommend you to listen to, the thing I'm referring to is the "whitewashed" smoothie with artificial fruit powder and tapioca pearls... that one, and how much I HATE seeing this drink being labeled as bubble tea. Now I'm not saying its bad, in fact when made right its actually really nice and refreshing, but it isn't bubble tea. 
To start off, the tea isn't even tea. Its fruit (or more commonly artificial fruit flavouring powder), blended with ice and sugar. I can ensure you there was no tea leaves in the drink (unless its flavoured matcha, in which it might be made with green tea leaves). If you go back to the traditional taiwanese Zhēnzhū nǎichá, you see its actually black tea with milk, brown sugar, and gelatin "pearls", sometimes on ice. What its labeled as today...you can see now why it frustrates me. Even google translate is more correct than what it is now! (I know, I was so surprised when I found out too)
Yes, for once google translate is actually correct. But anyways, I hope my message is clear, the bubble you know and love is FALSE. To end off, I included a recipe for traditional bubble tea. I hope you enjoy! :)

Ingredients for 1 serving

- 1/4 cup of black tapioca pearls
- 1-2 bags of black tea or 1 1/2 cups of black tea
- 1/2 cup of milk
- Brown sugar syrup (to taste)
- (Ice)

Preparation

  1. Prepare tapioca (follow instructions on package) and brown sugar syrup (listed below)
  2. Soak tapioca in brown sugar syrup, preferably overnight (optional)
  3. Mix brown sugar syrup (2-4 tablespoons, to taste) with milk, shake
  4. On medium-high heat, boil black tea until bubbling
  5. Add milk mixture, wait until boiling and bubbling
  6. Take off heat and shake, until bubbly/foamy
  7. Add tapioca pearls and serve, hot or on ice

How to make brown sugar syrup

  1. Boil water
  2. Add brown sugar at a ratio of 1:1, and mix
  3. Chill until use
And thats it! If you made the recipe at home, feel free to comment down below how it went for you, and any further suggestions for others. 

Comments